Deepest cloud integration of any storage vendor
When building large-scale public or private cloud infrastructures there is only one choice for block storage. NetApp SolidFire delivers the most comprehensive block storage integration with all of the industry leading orchestration softwares. Each integration surfaces NetApp SolidFire's patent-pending Quality of Service (QoS) controls allowing for complete performance automation and the development of end user self service tools.
Learn more about our cloud orchestration partners:
Build your cloud out of technology built for the cloud
NetApp SolidFire delivers the industry’s most comprehensive OpenStack block storage integration. Combining this integration with NetApp SolidFire’s guaranteed performance, high availability, and scale, customers can now confidently host performance-sensitive applications in their OpenStack cloud infrastructure.
OpenStack and NetApp SolidFire
To build an OpenStack-powered cloud infrastructure, there is only one choice for block storage. NetApp SolidFire delivers the industry's most comprehensive OpenStack block storage integration. Combining this integration with NetApp SolidFire's guaranteed performance, high availability, and scale, customers can now confidently host performance-sensitive applications in their OpenStack cloud infrastructure.
The OpenStack Project
Launched in 2010, OpenStack is open source software for building clouds. Created to drive industry standards, accelerate cloud adoption, and put an end to cloud "lock-in," OpenStack is a common, open platform for both public and private clouds. Their cloud operating system enables businesses to manage compute, storage, and networking resources via a self-service portal and APIs at massive scale.
OpenStack Block Storage
Architected to provide traditional blocklevel storage resources to other OpenStack services, Cinder is ideal for applications with performance-sensitive workloads. Different than the Swift object storage service, Cinder presents persistent block-level storage volumes for use with OpenStack Nova compute instances. The Cinder block storage service manages the creation, attaching, and detaching of these volumes between a storage system like NetApp SolidFire and different host servers. Key NetApp SolidFire-related features available in the OpenStack block storage (Cinder) service include:
- Full NetApp SolidFire driver integration with latest OpenStack software release
- Ability to set and maintain true QoS levels on a per-volume basis
- Ability to create, snapshot, clone, and manage NetApp SolidFire volumes using OpenStack clients and APIs
- Ability to run instances on a NetApp SolidFire volume
- Enhanced boot from volume capabilities
- Web-based API exposing all cluster functionality eliminates need for an arduous management layer/proxy in between OpenStack and the storage system
- NetApp SolidFire integration with OpenStack block storage can be configured for production usage in less than a minute
Committed to OpenStack
OpenStack matters because platform choice is integral to fostering innovation and growth in the cloud computing market. OpenStack, and its related services, are strategic building blocks for customers looking to build a cloud infrastructure than can accommodate the cost and Quality of Service (QoS) demands from a dynamic and expanding user base.
NetApp SolidFire has dedicated resources that drive real contributions to the OpenStack community. Unlike other vendors we are not limiting our efforts to basic plug-in architecture development or integrating with a restricted subset of available features. Instead, we deliver the industry's most comprehensive support for the Cinder block storage service. Going forward, we are focused on driving continued improvements in the Cinder block storage architecture to ensure it can exploit the most advanced, nextgeneration storage functionality.
Integration and automation across the infrastructure stack is essential for customers to achieve the agility and efficiency promises of OpenStack. Our partnerships with leading OpenStack distributions including Nebula and Rackspace Private Cloud are in clear recognition of this dynamic. NetApp SolidFire will continue to expand the depth and breadth of these integrations to ensure strategic alignment with the building blocks integral to our customers successfully deploying and managing their OpenStack-based cloud infrastructures.
What does this mean for you?
If you are building an OpenStack-based cloud you can take comfort in the fact that NetApp SolidFire has unsurpassed knowledge of, and integration with, the Cinder block storage service within OpenStack. For customers seeking guaranteed performance, high availability, and scale for their cloud infrastructure, there is no better block storage option.
- ID mapping between Cinder Vol-ID and NetApp SolidFire volume name
- One to one relationship of OpenStack account to NetApp SolidFire account
- Generate storage reports by account
- Provides additional security measures via tenant isolation on NetApp SolidFire
- Rapidly clone volumes to new types (different QoS settings)
- Unrestricted number of volume-types, allows for granular QoS
- Provision guaranteed IOPS to each OpenStack volume
- Add storage resources as your cloud grows without stopping, restarting or reconfiguring cinder services
- Complete HA, no single points of failure
- Automatic fault detection and self-healing
- System upgrades with zero downtime
- HTTPS interface to NetApp SolidFire API, no additional management nodes or libraries
- REST-based API easily maintained to support new OpenStack features over time
- Configure NetApp SolidFire with OpenStack in under 1 minute
- Fast and efficient cloning of bootable volumes eliminates need for repeated glance downloads
- Clone full environment with no impact to storage capacity
Download the NetApp SolidFire OpenStack Solution Brief (PDF).
Demand more from the storage behind your CloudStack infrastructure
NetApp SolidFire is the most advanced storage solution for CloudStack and combines a supported storage integration behind a CloudStack deployment, with the performance and Quality of Service controls required to confidently host performance sensitive applications in a multi-tenant infrastructure.
CloudStack and NetApp SolidFire
Hosting performance-sensitive applications in a CloudStack-powered cloud infrastructure requires an advanced block storage platform like NetApp SolidFire. No other vendor can combine a supported storage integration behind a production-ready CloudStack deployment, with the performance and quality-of-service controls required to confidently host performance-sensitive applications in a multi-tenant infrastructure.
The Apache CloudStack Project
Apache CloudStack is a top-level project of the Apache Software Foundation (ASF). The CloudStack project was created after Citrix's donation of the CloudStack project to the Apache Foundation. The project develops open-source software designed to deploy and manage large networks of virtual machines, as a highly-available, highly-scalable Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) cloud computing platform. CloudStack is used by a number of cloud providers to offer public cloud services, and by many companies to provide an on-premises (private) cloud offering, or as part of a hybrid cloud solution.
CloudStack Block Storage
CloudStack allows an administrator to provision two types of storage: Primary Storage and Secondary Storage. Primary storage is configured at the Cluster level and is intended to store the disk volumes of all the virtual machines (VMs) in the associated cluster. Secondary storage is typically NFS or object storage configured at the Zone level (multiple clusters). NetApp SolidFire's integration point with CloudStack is as a Primary Storage pool. By exploiting NetApp SolidFire's unique quality-of-service functionality and storage APIs, CloudStack storage can now be provisioned with guaranteed IOPS to deliver predictable and repeatable performance. No other block storage vendor can deliver this functionality to CloudStack like NetApp SolidFire.
Committed to CloudStack
NetApp SolidFire has dedicated resources that drive real contributions to the CloudStack community. We strive to deliver the industry's most comprehensive storage integration for CloudStack. NetApp SolidFire has already validated multi-hypervisor support within CloudStack while continually pushing to expand the supported use cases for the combined solution. Going forward, we are focused on driving continued improvements into the CloudStack storage architecture to ensure it can exploit the most advanced, next-generation storage functionality.
- Xen / XenServer
Citrix Ready Cloud Verified
Citrix remains the largest contributor to the developer community. Citrix's CloudPlatform is the first commercially supported cloud orchestration system based on Apache CloudStack. As a Citrix Ready Cloud Verified partner, NetApp SolidFire's customers can be confident that the integration between CloudPlatform and NetApp SolidFire has been properly testing and validated. In fact, Citrix's CloudPlatform Showcase Cloud is Fueled by NetApp SolidFire.
What does this mean for you?
Apache CloudStack, Citrix Cloud Platform, and NetApp SolidFire are dynamic and rapidly evolving platforms that will continue to enhance the ability to provision, manage, and automate storage resources in a cloud infrastructure. NetApp SolidFire is committed to continually advancing storage features in the CloudStack project to ensure users can have native access to advanced storage functionality required to host missioncritical applications in their cloud infrastructure.
- CRM / ERP
- Oracle / SQL databases
- Desktop services
- Test and development
- Converged Infrastructure
- Data Mining
Download the NetApp SolidFire CloudStack Solution Brief (PDF).
Full NetApp SolidFire integration makes it easy to guarantee disk performance for public and private clouds
With NetApp SolidFire and OnApp, it's easy to launch high-performance cloud services that give customers the confidence to migrate dedicated server workloads and guarantee disk performance for public and private clouds.
OnApp and NetApp SolidFire
OnApp powers more public clouds than any other platform, and now offers guaranteed disk performance for cloud providers using NetApp SolidFire storage. With NetApp SolidFire and OnApp, it's easy to launch high-performance cloud services that give customers the confidence to migrate dedicated server workloads to your cloud.
With NetApp SolidFire storage, your cloud customers can create virtual machines with guaranteed IOPS through the OnApp control panel, while you get intuitive control of datastore creation, minimum, maximum and burst disk performance, billing, backups and more.
The OnApp cloud platform is fully integrated with NetApp SolidFire storage systems through the NetApp SolidFire API.
- Faster Provisioning - Automated creation of iSCSI connections to NetApp SolidFire volumes eliminates time consuming manual provisioning.
- Enhanced Backups - Leveraging the NetApp SolidFire clone feature, customers can get instant snapshots which can then be offloaded for additional protection via the OnApp backup server.
- Guaranteed IOPS for Performance Intensive Applications - OnApp presents a block device to the VM rather than an LVM, allowing for guaranteed IOPS per VM / virtual disk.
- Billing on IOPS - Allow customers to charge users for IO intensive applications by tracking minimum, maximum and burst IOPS per virtual machine disk.
- Improved security - Using LUN mapping improves security by setting storage access limitations. Only LUNs authorized to access a particular VM can access the specific port.
Fully integrated with OnApp
NetApp SolidFire's unique storage capabilities are fully integrated with the OnApp cloud platform.
You can provision storage from NetApp SolidFire arrays in just the same way as other types of storage - but with the added ability to choose guaranteed IOPS for each virtual disk.
With all-SSD storage and guaranteed IOPS, you can offer the performance to enable customers to bring disk-intensive apps and databases into your cloud, and ensure that demanding workloads won't impact performance for other users.
OnApp and NetApp SolidFire power Blaze
Crucial Cloud Hosting launched the first public cloud with guaranteed storage performance: Blaze, built with OnApp and NetApp SolidFire.
How it works
NetApp SolidFire storage clusters are fully integrated with OnApp Cloud via the NetApp SolidFire API.
NetApp SolidFire storage has a clustered scale-out architecture in which storage nodes are aggregated into a single management domain, and capacity and performance scale linearly with the addition of each new node.
The diagram shows the recommended network configuration for OnApp Cloud with NetApp SolidFire storage systems. NetApp SolidFire clusters require a 10Gb Ethernet environment.
Using NetApp SolidFire storage with OnApp
- Automated provisioning: iSCSI activation and deactivation is automated for connections between virtual machines and specific volumes, removing the need for manual provisioning. When new virtual machine disks are created for customers in OnApp Cloud, a new storage volume is automatically created in the NetApp SolidFire cluster. Removing disks and LUNs is also fully automated.
- Guaranteed IOPS for intensive applications: OnApp presents a block device to the virtual machine rather than an LVM. This enables IOPS to be guaranteed per VM/virtual disk.
- Billing for IOPS: you can track and charge for minimum, maximum and burst IOPS per virtual machine disk. Data store capacity, and IOPS and capacity statistics per volume, are also shown in the OnApp control panel.
- Secure storage access: LUN mapping is used to set storage access limitations. Only LUNs authorized to access a particular VM can access the specific port.
- Enhanced Backups: use NetApp SolidFire's clone feature to take instant VM snapshots. These can also be offloaded to the OnApp backup server for additional protection.
What Does This Mean For You?
OnApp's deep storage integration with NetApp SolidFire allows for extremely granular storage control. For customers looking to build an OnApp powered IaaS cloud to host performance sensitive applications, there is only one choice for block storage; NetApp SolidFire. No other vendor can combine the comprehensive integration behind a production ready OnApp deployment, with the guaranteed performance, high availability and scale necessary for customers to confidently host performance sensitive applications in their cloud infrastructure.
Download the NetApp SolidFire OnApp Solution Brief (PDF).
Provision complete application environments in minutes with guaranteed storage performance
NetApp SolidFire's blend of storage performance and Quality of Service, when paired with Flexiant's mature, reliable and feature-rich management software, offers customers ready-to-use cloud infrastructure.
Flexiant and NetApp SolidFire
With similar heritages, Flexiant and NetApp SolidFire were both founded to solve the headaches encountered when companies are forced to use legacy tools to deliver cloud services. By integrating NetApp SolidFire's all-SSD storage system with Flexiant Cloud Orchestrator, customers can now build cloud service offerings that are uniquely differentiated across both cost and quality of service.
NetApp SolidFire's blend of storage performance and Quality of Service, when paired with Flexiant's mature, reliable and feature-rich management software, offers service providers ready-to-use cloud infrastructure. Customers can now accelerate deployment of their private or public cloud infrastructure services and address three of the most frequently encountered challenges in managing cloud infrastructure today; consistent performance, provisioning flexibility and management automation.
Flexiant is a leading international provider of cloud orchestration software for on-demand, fully automated provisioning of cloud services. Headquartered in Europe, Flexiant's cloud management software gives cloud service providers business agility, freedom, and flexibility to scale, deploy, and configure cloud servers simply and cost-effectively.
Vendor agnostic and supporting multiple hypervisors, Flexiant Cloud Orchestrator is a cloud management software suite that is service provider-ready, enabling cloud services through granular metering, billing, and white label capabilities.
Used by over 100 organizations worldwide including hosting providers, large MSPs, and telcos, Flexiant Cloud Orchestrator is simple to understand, simple to deploy, and simple to use.
Traditional network and primary storage architectures are buckling under the increased volume, sophistication, and performance demands of cloud computing workloads. Flexiant's integration with NetApp SolidFire addresses these issues through the following key integration points:
- Granularly provision storage performance (IOPS) and capacity (GBs) within Flexiant's Cloud Orchestrator console
- Quality of Service (QoS)-backed storage across multiple hypervisors
- Single pane of glass to seamlessly manage multiple compute and storage clusters
By utilizing the Flexiant & NetApp SolidFire integration your cloud services business will benefit by:
- Accelerating deployment of public or private cloud infrastructure services
- Gaining competitive business edge though differentiated service offerings
- Delivering value added services to the market without any heavy lifting required
- Achieving increased storage density and performance
|Flexible self-service||Multi-level metering and billing||Advanced automated provisioning||Scalability assurance|
|Provision storage instantly and flexibly||Meter and bill for storage as it is consumed||Provide complex application templates in one click||I/O controls enable flexible QoS capabilities|
|Deliver multi-tiered storage solutions||Enable flexible billing based on performance||Enable complete lifecycle management of resources||Modular design and capabilities of integrated solution enable you to easily scale as you grow|
Storage Resource Management
The Flexiant system interface leverages a built-in storage framework that allows for advanced storage management capabilities:
- Single interface to manage all resources
- Instant provisioning of storage resources
- Instant snapshots and cloning of disk volumes
- Complete snapshot/clone/image management
- Scale storage easily as required
What Does This Mean For You?
This integration means that you can achieve flexible self-service, advanced automated provisioning, multi-level metering and billing, and scalable assurance within your storage.
By flexible self-service, you can provision storage instantly and flexibly and deliver multi-tiered storage solutions. Advanced automated provisioning can provide complex application templates in one click and it enables complete lifecycle management of resources. Multi-level metering and billing for storage allows flexible billing based on performance and metering as storage is consumed. Lastly, scalability assurance means that IO controls can enable QoS capabilities and the modular design and capabilities of the integrated solution enable you to easily scale as you grow.
Download the NetApp SolidFire Flexiant Solution Brief (PDF).