SolidFire Agile Infrastructure
Making the complex simple
SolidFire Agile Infrastructure is a series of pre-validated reference architectures thoroughly tested by SolidFire. Built with SolidFire's all-flash storage system at the foundation, each AI design also includes leading compute, networking and orchestration technologies that dramatically reduce the cost and complexity of deploying a converged infrastructure.
With SolidFire AI ...
- Consolidate on a converged infrastructure and independently provision capacity and performance to eliminate dedicated resources.
- Purchase only what you need, when you need it. SolidFire’s AI solutions simplify the complexity involved with capacity and performance planning by allowing for granular, incremental growth.
- Deep integration simplifies end-to-end provisioning and control.
Agile Infrastructure Partnerships
SolidFire's Agile Infrastructure designs are built using best-of-breed technology across the enterprise ecosystem - including Cisco, Dell, OpenStack, Red Hat and VMware - to accelerate the deployment of a dynamic IT infrastructure.
SolidFire’s reference architectures for rapid, scalable cloud deployment are currently offered under these solution stacks:
Accelerating the adoption of OpenStack in the Enterprise
Built for the Next Generation Data Center, SolidFire is the leading block storage solution in automated and virtualized environments. For customers that need scalable, highly available, agile, predictable, automated block storage there is no better option for simplified cloud deployment.
AI for Virtual Infrastructure:
An ecosystem of providers, one pre-validated design
Other converged infrastructure offerings are an exercise in retrofitting legacy components into a pretty wrapper. Contrary to that notion, SolidFire has designed a converged infrastructure stack purpose-built to consolidate, automate and scale IT infrastructure for VMware.
Using only best-of-breed components (VMware, Cisco compute & networking, and SolidFire) SolidFire’s AI for Virtual Infrastructure enables and accelerates enterprise IT deployments with deep integration, QoS and modularity for scalability. With this pre-validated design, IT departments can quickly and confidently embark on their journey to the Next Generation Data Center.
To help enterprises maximize benefit from powerful virtualization and automation tools, SolidFire has incorporated industry-leading technology from VMware and Cisco into a pre-validated design for customers looking to deploy a highly-scalable virtualized infrastructure.
SolidFire AI for Virtual Infrastructure is a pre-validated reference architecture that consolidates your IT infrastructure with SolidFire SF3010 block storage nodes, UCS compute and Nexus networking from Cisco, and VMware vSphere. Eliminate the guesswork involved in planning, sizing, provisioning and operating enterprise applications in the Next Generation Data Center.
The Agile Approach
SolidFire Agile Infrastructure (AI) with Cisco and VMware enables your IT organization to consolidate, automate and scale virtualized business-critical environments to:
- Reduce complexity through simplified management, Quality of Service (QoS) and flexible control
- Deliver higher levels of application availability through application consolidation on a single system
- Scale capacity and performance seamlessly on demand with no disruption and no downtime
The SolidFire AI Advantage
With AI for Virtual Infrastructure, SolidFire has uniquely demonstrated the ability for enterprises to easily and efficiently accommodate the demands of mixed workloads from a single storage platform. Leveraging SolidFire’s unique QoS capabilities, storage policies can be provisioned and enforced to isolate each workload while running simultaneously within a shared infrastructure.
AI in Action
To demonstrate the mixed workload capabilities of architecture through the validation process, here’s a sampling of operations that can run concurrently on the AI design:
- Boot storm of 200 VMware Horizon View desktops
- Two hosted Oracle OLTP database workloads running approximately 230,000 TPM
- MongoDB job running 70 concurrent threads
- Inline data reduction, including deduplication, compression and thin provisioning, driving 13.5x efficiency rates across all three workloads
Accelerating the adoption of the Next Generation Data Center for a virtualized infrastructure
Built for the Next Generation Data Center, SolidFire is the leading block storage solution for virtualized infrastructures. SolidFire AI helps enterprises maximize benefit while reducing risk from powerful virtualization and orchestration tools. Through a pre-validated design the SolidFire AI solution for VMware speeds deployment of the Next Generation Data Center, accelerating the path to an IT-as-a-Service environment by maximizing inherent architectural functionality to provide scalability, consolidation and automation.
AI in Real Life
SolidFire AI for virtualized infrastructure is designed to deploy and scale quickly for consolidation of multiple critical applications. From a workload perspective, the base reference architecture has been validated to enable organizations to rapidly get to a scalable IT infrastructure that supports the consolidation of applications with varying characteristics, including those having:
- High peaks at a moderate predictable interval (e.g. Oracle)
- Lower peaks at a rapid consistent interval (e.g. MongoDB)
- High peaks of an inconsistent interval (e.g. Horizon View)
Leveraging SolidFire's unique storage QoS controls, administrators can confidently mix-and-match multiple workload types within this shared infrastructure footprint, while still ensuring no individual application event will affect IO or response time performance of others.
The Bottom Line
SolidFire's AI for Virtual Infrastructure simplifies the deployment of a dynamic IT environment with the performance control, automation and scalability to efficiently consolidate mixed workloads. By incorporating industry-leading technology from VMware and Cisco into a pre-validated reference design, AI enables accelerated deployment of a dynamic IT infrastructure that allows for unprecedented consolidation of mixed application workloads onto a single platform.
Download the SolidFire AI for Virtual Infrastructure Solution Brief (PDF).
AI for OpenStack:
An ecosystem of providers, one pre-validated design
Other converged infrastructure offerings are an exercise in retrofitting of legacy components into a pretty wrapper. The first SolidFire Agile Infrastructure solution is built around OpenStack. It takes the best-of-breed components (Red Hat, OpenStack, Dell compute & networking, and SolidFire), packages them together in a pre-validated design for IT departments so they can confidently and quickly embark on their journey to the Next Generation Data Center.
Self-Service Cloud Infrastructure for Dynamic IT Environments
A pre-validated reference design developed for an OpenStack cloud infrastructure using SolidFire's all-flash block storage system, Dell compute and networking, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux OpenStack Platform.
To help enterprises accelerate their ability to embrace powerful, yet complex tools like OpenStack, SolidFire has aligned with Red Hat and Dell to deliver a pre-validated design for customers looking to deploy a functional OpenStack cloud infrastructure. SolidFire Agile Infrastructure (AI) for OpenStack is a pre-validated reference architecture built specifically for a dynamic IT-as-a-Service approach for Test & Development or Private Cloud.
Operational benefits of AI for OpenStack
Accelerate the adoption of OpenStack with SolidFire’s AI Solution
Built for the Next Generation Data Center, SolidFire is the leading block storage solution in OpenStack. For customers that need scalable, highly available, agile, predictable, automated block storage there is no better option in OpenStack.
Sample AI for OpenStack Workloads
- Software Development Lifecycle (e.g Test/Dev, QA Staging, Production)
- Large Scale Web Applications (e.g. 3-Tier LAMP stack)
- Persistent Block Storage/On-Premise version of Amazon Elastic Block Storage (EBS) or Provisioned IOPS (pIOPS) Database Consolidation/Database-as-a-Service (DBaaS)
- IT Consolidation - ERP, CRM, Collaboration
AI In Real Life
SolidFire AI for OpenStack was designed to accommodate a mediumto- large size OpenStack cloud infrastructure. From a workload perspective, the base configuration translates to at least 1,000 virtual machine instances within the 27U base reference architecture.
Leveraging SolidFire's unique storage QoS controls, administrators can confidently mix-and-match multiple workload types within this shared infrastructure footprint, while still ensuring predictable performance to each individual application. This QoS mechanism affords administrators the flexibility to run many of one workload or any combination of block storage workloads without compromising performance.
The AI Advantage
With SolidFire AI, customers can stand up a dynamic self-service cloud infrastructure in significantly less time, with less space and for less money than alternative converged infrastructure offerings. AI allows enterprises to embrace the benefits of Next Generation Data Center design today. Unique attributes of the AI solution for OpenStack include:
- Best-of-Breed Design - Built using best-of-breed technology across all layers of the stack to deliver a fully featured cloud infrastructure solution.
- True Scale-Out - Scale-out design across compute, network and storage allows for a more flexible and cost effective design as infrastructure expands.
- No Lock-In - Modularity at each layer of the stack eliminates threat of hardware or software lock-in.
- Accelerated OpenStack Time to Value - Pre-validated solution drastically reduces complexity of adopting OpenStack infrastructure in a Next Generation Data Center design.
- Guaranteed Performance - With SolidFire's unique QoS controls, AI can easily accommodate mixed workload environments without compromising performance to any one application.
Download the SolidFire AI for OpenStack Solution Brief (PDF).